Gold Prospecting West Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» GPZ7000 for sale
intermitant fault EmptyTue 17 Dec 2019, 3:33 pm by wandwaver

» GPZ 19” Coil For Sale
intermitant fault EmptyMon 16 Dec 2019, 5:24 am by Matrix

» gold mining site and gold bars to sell
intermitant fault EmptyThu 27 Sep 2018, 2:03 am by johngolden

» G'day everyone
intermitant fault EmptyTue 25 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm by Moneybox

» Kia Ora form Martin
intermitant fault EmptyTue 14 Aug 2018, 4:08 pm by oneday

intermitant fault EmptyWed 01 Aug 2018, 9:31 pm by Fluffy

» I need some help with detecting in WA
intermitant fault EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018, 11:15 am by Guest

» SDC2300 reluctant sale
intermitant fault EmptySat 26 May 2018, 9:21 am by goldfinger

» Gold & Ghosts - Volumes 1&2
intermitant fault EmptyTue 08 May 2018, 5:09 pm by nightjar

Pilbara Prospecting Supplies Karratha
Troy Oz Gold Safaris

intermitant fault

+2
davsgold
oneday
6 posters

Go down

intermitant fault Empty intermitant fault

Post by oneday Mon 05 Oct 2015, 4:22 am

if u r having trouble with the machine turning on and off by itself then heres a simple trick to eliminate the problem.

wrap a rubber band around each of the last 2 batteries prior to putting them into the battery holder.

Skinny rubber bands will suffice. place the bands down towards the front of the batteries so as when u push them in the band will slide back.

SIZE 8 rubber bands should do the trick.

I'm sure u will work it out, if u haven't already.

problem solvered.

regards
oneday
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

intermitant fault Empty Re: intermitant fault

Post by oneday Wed 11 Nov 2015, 4:03 pm

I Wouldn't SUGGEST TO WRAP ANY TAPE AROUND THEM COZ IF U LEAVE THE TAPE ON when charging they will get extremely hot and may explode.

be careful.

regards
oneday
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davsgold Wed 11 Nov 2015, 6:15 pm

oneday wrote:I Wouldn't SUGGEST TO WRAP ANY TAPE AROUND THEM COZ IF U LEAVE THE TAPE ON when charging they will get extremely hot and may explode.

be careful.

regards
oneday

Finders Keepers is recommending to do a once around the middle of each battery with coil tape to make the battery just that bit thicker. study

What do Minelab actually suggest, as the battery holder is something like 26mm internal diameter and the batteries that Minelab actually supply are 24.9mm diameter or there abouts, which gives a bit over 1mm of rattle space.

There are "C" cell rechargables that are available that measure over 25mm diameter, I've not bought any or tried these.

I found that by keeping the both ends of each cell buffed with scotch bright pad so they are nice and clean then the problem was nearly solved and there were very few turn off and on events.

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold

Back to top Go down

Post by oneday Wed 11 Nov 2015, 6:21 pm

hi dave
I only put an elastic band on the last 2 that go in--I don't have any problems ...others might be different.

I still don't recommend taping the batteries due to the heat factor...if one happens to explode or do anything untoward,

if they r recommending the tape well good luck coz they leave themselves wide open.

the sdc didn't turn off once in a 5 hour stint.

regards
oneday
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Dozer Wed 11 Nov 2015, 8:27 pm

We have been using a folded up piece of alfoil over the batteries before closing the lid.
Never had a problem since we started doing it.

Dozer

Back to top Go down

Post by peterau Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:02 am

Forget all the tinkering, just buy the batteries with bigger terminals. My 2300 was a nightmare turning off and on continually from new. tried tape, still crap, got batteries with wider terminals, runs faultlessly. I bought mine from the chemist in Leonora. Have since got a spare set off ebay, same battery but a lot cheaper only $14 for set of 4. Used them in W.A. and now using /charging them everyday in vic goldfields for the last 5 weeks. If you don't like cheaper batteries then buy expensive but get the wider terminals. Minelab should do the right thing and provide all new 2300 sales with these batteries, to some of us near $4k is a lot of money and we shouldn't have to be discussing how to overcome a fault with a new machine. Its called quality control, and meeting customer expectation/satisfaction should be a lot higher on their agenda than what it is these days. It is an easy and relatively inexpensive fix for them.

peterau

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Fri 13 Nov 2015, 7:40 am

You got my vote there Peter. Join the club,,,,,,,,,,,, Twisted Evil
Wedgetail
Wedgetail

http://www.australiangoldsafaris.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Fri 13 Nov 2015, 9:58 am

I totally agree, they certainly are dropping the ball in area's, you will always get the guys that think it's no big deal and just go with the bush fix but at the end of the day with proper design/quality control it should be picked up AND corrected as soon as it is known.

Now i will relate a story, in July i was sitting having a chat before i went out and a lady in the group new to detecting was going out with her 2300 on her second day, whilst watching her making her way across the clearing i kept hearing the machine rebooting, i didn't think much about it at first but when it kept happening i thought i'd go over for a wander just in case it was the dreaded battery situation.

Well yes indeed it was, she said it didn't worry her because she got a chance to rest her arm, these people aren't members of gold forums where this fault is a known fact and frequently discussed so if it wasn't for me being there can you imagine how her detecting experience was going to fair with the machine shutting off every few swings until she decided to go back to where she brought it to be told to wrap tape, put rubber bands around the batteries or some other bush fix.

For the record i never experienced this problem with my 2300 because once i read about it i knew to take care when inserting the batteries and closing the battery cover.

Peter out of all the bush fixes for this $4K machine your's is the best one yet, i wonder if Minelab will take notice.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:57 am

I use these:

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/s4748d-c-4500mah-nimh-rechargeable-battery/

I've just measured 'em using a Vernier caliper and they are 25.4 mm diameter - a bit fatter than the ones ML hand out. I don't use any tape etc and never had an issue with these. They also seem to have a wider. more prominent top cap (positive terminal). Also not a bad price if ya buy four.

They have larger capacity batteries (at the same voltage) but I'm not sure how the battery charger would go with these larger ones. I dunno if the ML charger works on a timer or whether the batteries have reached 100% charge. I have chargers that work on both principles.

Here's the bigger ones - scroll down

http://www.altronics.com.au/search/all/?sr=Batteries

Here's the charger that I bought when that PoS Minelab charger went tits up in a very short time: Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad

http://www.altronics.com.au/p/a0288a-powertran-nicad-nimh-aaa-aa-c-d-9v-battery-charger/

That one works on the "timer principle" and it's 240 volt only, so it's a bit more robust.

All said 'n done, even the ML charger was another QC fail for most if not all buyers.
Wedgetail
Wedgetail

http://www.australiangoldsafaris.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oneday Fri 13 Nov 2015, 11:30 am

yep good points gentlemen and fair comment--I agree.

regards
oneday
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by davsgold Fri 13 Nov 2015, 2:20 pm

Banjo wrote:

Peter out of all the bush fixes for this $4K machine your's is the best one yet, i wonder if Minelab will take notice.

Hey Banjo, they may say thankyou and put an Aluminium strip in the box with a new 2300

cheers dave
davsgold
davsgold

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum