» small petrol motors wanted
Wed 12 Jul 2017, 9:46 pm by oneday

Pilbara Prospecting Supplies Karratha
Troy Oz Gold Safaris

Bushes front springs

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Bushes front springs

Post by oneday on Thu 29 Oct 2015, 2:05 pm

with all the bush bashing this season I thought we better take a look at the front end suspension--

just as well

the red neoprop rubbers were worn through with the bolt touching the spring hanger..

so if u have been down your fair share of corrugated roads then take some time to check your suspension bushes..

Doesn't take long to replace as the new ones these days come in 2 pieces with graphite grease for a bit of lube.

jack yah 4b up at the chassis to relieve the pressure on the hangers.

good luck

regards
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

Re: Bushes front springs

Post by Wedgetail on Thu 29 Oct 2015, 2:48 pm

I could do with relieving some pressure from my hangers Ray!

But,,,,about bushes. Prior to this last season I was re-shimming the kingpins on the Chevissan as it was wobbling summat fearsome, when I looked towards the rear end of the truck. I spied two "things" hanging down,,,,,,,

One was the driver's side rear shockie, snapped off at the upper eye!! Just a steel shaft hanging there! The top eye had no bush remaining in it and it had worn the chassis mount pin to more than 50% through!

The other side was hanging 'cos there were no bushes left whatsoever in both top and bottom eyes and the pins were worn again greater than 50%!

Under there with the MIG, build 'em up with weld, die grinder on the job to get 'em round again. New Koni HD shocks, new bushes. Back on four legs again in two days.

Like I said on "that other forum",,,,,,,,,,,I have a reputation!!affraid

"Go hard or the gold will be gone"! Laughing
Wedgetail

http://www.australiangoldsafaris.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by oneday on Thu 29 Oct 2015, 4:01 pm

yep it comes down to regular servicing and checking out the areas u take for granted.

regards
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Fri 30 Oct 2015, 8:24 am

Ray,

That's what my missus keeps telling me! But ya know what they say about "cobblers kids always being the worst shod". Mechanic's cars are no different! clown
Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 6:27 am

Assume you are talking about a hzj75.
My '97 trayback, 265000km. only gets around 60000km. out of the front (OEM) shackle bushes. (replaced 4 times)
Replaced the rear once in that time, should get another year at least.

Fitted Polyair bellows to the back when I bought it (new) which I think does help.
Rear shocks lasted no time at all, front still reasonable, no leaks.
The 75 series suspension has to be about the worst thing Toyota ever put on a vehicle.

I made a shallow tapered wedge from a piece of timber, drive it in between the spring eye and top hanger to take the tension of the shackle and you can knock the shackle out, prise the bushes out from each side, replace.
Don't even have to jack the vehicle up or support it.
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by oneday on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 6:56 am

Hi Mike
yep the troopy has over 410K clicks on her now and she hates pulling a heavy load--fuel economy goes out the tail pipe.

Have H/D leaf springs rated at 500kgs and I had done the rear bushes 9 months ago but they all certainly get a work out on some of the tracks we get to go on and some of the country with no tracks also gives it what for.

I don't think Toyota actually realise were their vehicles go in the bush and the extreme conditions it has to put up with.

regards
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sat 31 Oct 2015, 6:43 pm

,,,,,,,,,,,I don't think Toyota actually realise were their vehicles go in the bush and the extreme conditions it has to put up with,,,,,,,,,,

Unlike Nissan,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,who can't fit a decent engine in their Toyota beating chassis lol!
Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 4:49 am

Hmm. Hope you are not including the Patrol all coil cab chassis there Wedgetail. Sad
That one has caused a few head scratches Mad
Mike
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by nightjar on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:27 am

These prevented that problem Michael, fitted like a glove and down off the stands in just over an hour.
Only hold up was snapping an original bolt and having to drill it out and fit a heli coil.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOSS-Chassis-Coil-Tower-Brace-Kit-for-Nissan-Patrol-GQ-GU-Y61-Bolt-In-DIY-Kit-/131193863693

nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 7:12 am

boobook wrote:Hmm. Hope you are not including the Patrol all coil cab chassis there Wedgetail. Sad
That one has caused a few head scratches Mad
Mike

Yep - I am. Mines done almost half a million kms, had the crap battered out of it by me for the last 120,000 kms since the conversion and no sign of breaking. (I think it had a quiet life till it met me!) Like all things, some are bad and some are good. Toyotas are bad and Nissan's are good, it's that simple Razz

NJs link above can be expanded to include a cross bar arrangement that reinforces the Patrol even further. I was offered one from WA Suspension in Perth last year. But I told him the Chevissan was only used by my wife to go to the shops,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

The biggest issue I have with this Chev conversion was the gearbox and clutch. The gearbox is GQ and not GU despite it's a GU Patrol. The box is like new BUT THE CLUTCH,,,,,,,,,,,,oh boy, that bloody clutch is a bitch. It's like driving an old Leyland 8 wheeler with a crash gearbox and no air on the clutch. I have a left leg that could beat a Bulgarian weightlifter. But it's the best bush truck I've ever taken out in the rough stuff and I wouldn't swap it for any of the 4WDs I see around today,,,,,,,,,,,,which is another way of saying,,,,,,,,,,I can't afford one of those anyway!!!! Very Happy
Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top