» SDC 2300 SOLD SOLD
Mon 14 Aug 2017, 5:21 pm by oneday

Pilbara Prospecting Supplies Karratha
Troy Oz Gold Safaris

Windows 10

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Windows 10

Post by toadskin on Sun 01 Nov 2015, 6:56 pm

The motherboard on my computer died. Well actually it started to die some time ago when the PCIe slot failed and I had to resort to the onboard video but a week or so ago the USB function gave out completely. So, $600+ later I have an updated computer using solid state drives (SSD) and 6 core AMD processor. Now because the new setup will run a 64 bit operating system and I only had 32 bit OS's to hand (Vista and then Windows 8.1 32bit by way of offered free upgrades), the question was, do I get Windows 8, 64 bit or Windows 10, 64 bit?

After hearing a lot of complaints about Window 10, I was considering just getting W8.1, 64bit. But after further thought I came to the conclusion that, in any case, I would finally end up having to run Windows 10 as Microsoft usually start to fade out support for the older operating systems forcing you to finally bite the bullet and upgrade. I bit the bullet with Vista and started using it very soon after its' initial release and although there were a few hiccups with drivers and the like, I quickly got my head around it and it was OK.

So anyway, a clean install of Windows 10 (64bit) and so far, all good. Runs Citrix Server/Tengraph, Geoview, Geomaps, Google Earth. OK, it's a little different to Windows 8.1 buy hey? Google is your friend!

So far I'm quite happy with Windows 10 and haven't got stuck trying to do anything I would have done on Windows 8.1.

Anyone else using it? Anyone having a problem with it?

P.S. These SSD's are FAST! My computer cold boots into Windows in under 15 seconds!
toadskin

Back to top Go down

Re: Windows 10

Post by TKingGold on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 5:57 am

I loaded windows 10 but swapped back to 8 cause it doesnt support silverlight. How did you get geoview to work without silverlight?

TKingGold

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:22 am

I still have to update my back-up laptop to Win 10 from Win 8. Last I read Microsoft are no longer providing support for Win 8 as it has been abandoned by MS as a failure.
Wedgetail

http://www.australiangoldsafaris.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by toadskin on Mon 02 Nov 2015, 7:47 am

TKingGold wrote:I loaded windows 10 but swapped back to 8 cause it doesnt support silverlight.  How did you get geoview to work without silverlight?

Silverlight works fine in Windows 10, however it is not supported by the new Microsoft browser (Edge) which comes with Windows 10. Fortunately Windows 10 also includes Internet Explorer 11. I ditched Edge because I couldn't configure it like I wanted and now use Google Chrome and Internet Explorer (IE). I like Chrome but there are some things that Internet Explorer just does better and one of those is run Silverlight.

Go to START. In the search box type INTERNET EXPLORER (IE). It will come up under 'Best Match' as INTERNET EXPLORER (IE). Right click on it and select either pin to START or pin to Task Bar, whichever you want. You can later change it to the other by the same method.

Click on the IE icon, search for Geoview and go from there......ie. download Silverlight etc. etc.
toadskin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top