Gold Prospecting West Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» GPZ7000 for sale
Moving maps - Page 2 EmptyTue 17 Dec 2019, 3:33 pm by wandwaver

» GPZ 19” Coil For Sale
Moving maps - Page 2 EmptyMon 16 Dec 2019, 5:24 am by Matrix

» gold mining site and gold bars to sell
Moving maps - Page 2 EmptyThu 27 Sep 2018, 2:03 am by johngolden

» G'day everyone
Moving maps - Page 2 EmptyTue 25 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm by Moneybox

» Kia Ora form Martin
Moving maps - Page 2 EmptyTue 14 Aug 2018, 4:08 pm by oneday

Moving maps - Page 2 EmptyWed 01 Aug 2018, 9:31 pm by Fluffy

» I need some help with detecting in WA
Moving maps - Page 2 EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018, 11:15 am by Guest

» SDC2300 reluctant sale
Moving maps - Page 2 EmptySat 26 May 2018, 9:21 am by goldfinger

» Gold & Ghosts - Volumes 1&2
Moving maps - Page 2 EmptyTue 08 May 2018, 5:09 pm by nightjar

Pilbara Prospecting Supplies Karratha
Troy Oz Gold Safaris

Moving maps

+6
Moneybox
Madmav
detectist
reefdog70
goldfinger
oneday
10 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Moving maps - Page 2 Empty Re: Moving maps

Post by Wedgetail Tue 12 May 2015, 8:08 am

Be careful with HEMA and even Google Earth when dealing with precise locations such as someone's tenement boundaries. I've found G Earth does not match the accepted GDA/WGS system used by the WA Mines Dept's Tengraph system. Also, I recently found HEMA to be 800 mtrs out on one tenement exercise!

My advice (FWIW) is by all means use HEMA etc for general use but when dealing with a degree of of precision, say 5 mtrs, use a quality GPS that matches the DMP system. It's a must that whatever systems your using actually match and are comparable with industry standard datums.

I've even had someone give me the location of a nugget patch, with a view to pegging an SPL, only to find that the actual patch was 180 mtrs away from where his "GPS" told him it was located. If we'd have used his GPS readings we would have pegged an SPL area that had no gold in it!!

Tengraph uses GDA 94 datum and some GPS don't have this datum installed. After much messing around years ago, the DMP finally told me that World Grid System (WGS) is as near as dammit to GDA. WGS is acceptable to the DMP and is often used by tenement holders when marking out boundaries.

Also, if you use Lat/Lon ( I don't!) make sure your GPS is Lat/Lon is set up in Degs, Mins and Secs and not Degs and Mins and decimals of a minute. It can make a very damaging difference when confronted with an angry leaseholder affraid  Evil or Very Mad

Just to be sure, I download Tengraph tenement maps, print/scan and calibrate 'em for use in Ozi-Explorer. It's long winded but it works for me over the years. It's also revealed the occasional "pretty picture" of where the nuggets may be lurking on an old patch.

HTH
Wedgetail
Wedgetail

http://www.australiangoldsafaris.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Banjo Tue 12 May 2015, 8:55 pm

Cheers Les Smile

Lot's of invaluable info as usual, just starting to get my head around Ozi, i will start looking into using tengraph maps.
Banjo
Banjo

Back to top Go down

Post by mulgadansa Mon 25 May 2015, 8:38 am

Gday Banjo and all
Here's a pic of my little moving map set up.
[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
I'd bought a GPS in Paris when we were there and when I got back home figured it would be pretty useless here, given it was setup with only euro road maps. Jumped onto an aussie GPS forum and the guys there helped out big time with setting this up with software called Miopocket (free). Had to buy Oziexplorer but only about $40. It lets you run either the moving map with geols or topo's (I tend to stick with the old 1:250,000), or you can switch back to your standard street navigator. Been using this for over five years now. Mickey mouse setup for me. Only thing I do different now is that the unit is on the windscreen directly in front of me. I'm pretty sure you can do this with any street navigator that runs on a windows based platform. Very cheap way around it if you already have a street GPS and it's nice and compact and dual use.
I did just buy an update of all aussie and NZ street maps and uploaded that and took the unit to NZ on tour. Works brilliantly.
cheers
Brett
mulgadansa
mulgadansa

Back to top Go down

Post by detectist Wed 29 Jul 2015, 2:49 pm

Not long back from WA. The set up - from Reefdog's setup, for my tablet computer worked very well.

May change the tabs that hold the computer to the tough tray to be more like the cotton reel type to put less pressure on the touch screen. Thanks again Reefdog..

detectist

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum