Gold Prospecting West Australia
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
Latest topics
» GPZ7000 for sale
13hp petrol motors EmptyTue 17 Dec 2019, 3:33 pm by wandwaver

» GPZ 19” Coil For Sale
13hp petrol motors EmptyMon 16 Dec 2019, 5:24 am by Matrix

» gold mining site and gold bars to sell
13hp petrol motors EmptyThu 27 Sep 2018, 2:03 am by johngolden

» G'day everyone
13hp petrol motors EmptyTue 25 Sep 2018, 8:21 pm by Moneybox

» Kia Ora form Martin
13hp petrol motors EmptyTue 14 Aug 2018, 4:08 pm by oneday

13hp petrol motors EmptyWed 01 Aug 2018, 9:31 pm by Fluffy

» I need some help with detecting in WA
13hp petrol motors EmptyMon 23 Jul 2018, 11:15 am by Guest

» SDC2300 reluctant sale
13hp petrol motors EmptySat 26 May 2018, 9:21 am by goldfinger

» Gold & Ghosts - Volumes 1&2
13hp petrol motors EmptyTue 08 May 2018, 5:09 pm by nightjar

Pilbara Prospecting Supplies Karratha
Troy Oz Gold Safaris

13hp petrol motors

+3
Wedgetail
nightjar
oneday
7 posters

Go down

13hp petrol motors Empty Re: 13hp petrol motors

Post by nightjar Tue 19 Jan 2016, 4:46 pm

Same as the diesel Ray, no liner.

nightjar
nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by oneday Tue 19 Jan 2016, 5:34 pm

the main thing is to make sure the air filtration system is at its best and change the oil regularly.

I have 2 of these types for my dry blower, one working and the other on standby just in case.

regards
oneday
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Tue 19 Jan 2016, 7:01 pm

Ray,

It would have to have a steel liner of some sort. Ya can't run steel rings directly in aluminium. Even without the dust, the bore wouldn't last the day. BUT - that doesn't mean it's a removable liner, which I would doubt in such a small engine. Plus, they're that cheap, why would ya bother?

You ask, what do they leave out? Probably nothing physical. But there's steel and there's steel, there's electrics and there's electrics, there's seals and there's seals,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,need I go on?

Which brings me to another issue. Those engines are a dead set Chinese copy of the current Honda GX series. Now, I'd have a Honda any day over any other engine - Briggs & Stratton in particular,,,,,,,they don't call 'em "Bang 'n Stop" for nothing. I've never had a B&S yet that wasn't a H.O.S. I've got two in the shed if anyone wants 'em. Tecumseh? Should give 'em away in Smiths Salt 'n Vinegar chips packets.

BUT - ask yerself, would I wanna put a 13hp genuine Honda on a dryblower, amongst all the dust, and one missed aircleaner change and it blows it out in twelve months at 1200 bucks a pop? BTW - have a look at Honda's Warranty for Industrial use. From what I recall, it's a pretty good one.

It's a bit like buying a 90 buck GMC drill with a 36 month, no questions warranty and going back and getting a free brand newie replacement when it blows up. Or buying a 390 dollar AEG with a 6 year warranty after which it will probably still be a good drill. So buy a cheapie & chuck when stuffed? Your call.

I had a Honda G60 that was 38 years old and it was still a runner when it went in the bin 'cos I couldn't get a rebore kit or carby parts for it any more. Honda? Love 'em.

BTW - I can highly recommend AEG brushless rechargeable stuff. Great warranty, batteries fit all sort of other AEG tools and the drill is as good as my old Bosch 240 volt drill. If it grabs, it damn near tears your hand off. I can't stall it even when I try.

JMO
Wedgetail
Wedgetail

http://www.australiangoldsafaris.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Dozer Tue 19 Jan 2016, 8:24 pm

Alloy blocks do run without liners but they are specially coated with various things which all cost money and have various side issues.
Briggs used a surface coating of silicon and ?? years ago. Les has given his opinion of Briggs and I think he was a tad too polite.
Ford produced these a few years ago, however I have no idea how it panned out for them.
Shelby V8
Most alloy blocks however are made with a steel liner in the mould when they are cast.
These motors will be cheap and nasty and absolutely perfect for dry blower or other machine use.
As Les says, when it is dead get out the standby one and replace
The most likely problems will be the bits that hang off the motor, like starters, air cleaners, fuel lines and tanks etc.

Last edited by Dozer on Tue 19 Jan 2016, 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added link)

Dozer

Back to top Go down

Post by nightjar Tue 19 Jan 2016, 8:27 pm

Wedgie,
A method used to produce some production aluminum engines is to use no sleeves at all. Instead, the aluminum cylinders are coated with a nickel silicone alloy or some other special plasma coatings that resist wear and offer longevity, durability and a improved ring seal. No liner or moulded sleeve.

Yes and as silly as it seems B&S and now probably Chinese manufacturers do make aluminium bore engines. Millions of B&S engines are in a range of equipment and if used for what they are intended they have a very high success rate.
nightjar
nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by the speciman Tue 19 Jan 2016, 8:48 pm

gday punters
these days a lot of merchandise is buy it throw away when its broke.
ya get wot ya pay for.
my old man told me if ya want quality ya gotta pay a bit more for it (ie name brands)
ive got a 60 litre engel I bought it in 1994 same year I bought the 80 series.
the 80 series is a bit tired at the minute but the engel went strait into the new 100 series hasn't missed a beat. Honda 2kva genny same deal hasn't let me down.just pay a few extra bucks alls good.
dust is the killer up here with naturally aspirated petrol engines clean ya filters regulary.and carry spares. its not hard.

cheers the speciman.

the speciman

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Tue 19 Jan 2016, 9:15 pm

Genuine liner or sintered aluminium, its still NBG as you'd never be able to renew that steel liner just as you can't rebore the sinter. So buggered is buggered. Makes no difference.

Ahhhaaah,,,,,,,,take me back to the simple days of wet liners pls.

Whatdya mean, "it's air-cooled"?. I knew that, I knew that,,,,!!!!clown
Wedgetail
Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Wed 20 Jan 2016, 5:48 am

Not all B&S engines are, as WT points out, H'sOS.

The B&S 11hp. engine on my Lincoln "weldanpower" has a CI cylinder liner, ball bearing crankshaft, electronic ignition, low oil cutout and double element air filter.

Built to work, it has a 21l. fuel tank, dual voltage range 150a welding @60% duty cycle, 5kva. 240v. continuous.

Lincoln, being top of the range when it comes to portable welder/generators, am sure would not be using HOS engines to power them.
Cost $4250 12yrs. ago, one only gets what you pay for though Smile
mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by Dozer Wed 20 Jan 2016, 5:49 am

At $295 each repairs are not worth it. Oil, plugs and filters while it goes and then swap it out with the replacement when it stops.

Dozer

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Wed 20 Jan 2016, 9:13 am

boobook wrote:Not all B&S engines are, as WT points out, H'sOS.

The B&S 11hp. engine on my Lincoln "weldanpower" has a CI cylinder liner, ball bearing crankshaft, electronic ignition, low oil cutout and double element air filter.

Built to work, it has a 21l. fuel tank, dual voltage range 150a welding @60% duty cycle, 5kva. 240v. continuous.

Lincoln, being top of the range when it comes to portable welder/generators, am sure would not be using HOS engines to power them.
Cost $4250 12yrs. ago, one only gets what you pay for though Smile
mike

Sadly, my experience has been very different.
Wedgetail
Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by Wedgetail Wed 20 Jan 2016, 9:26 am

Dozer wrote:At $295 each repairs are not worth it. Oil, plugs and filters while it goes and then swap it out with the replacement when it stops.

I'd bet that even if was a liner engine, if ya tried to rebore it, the bore would be chromed or oversize was not available and neither are parts generally. Not many true cast bores around these days it seems.
Wedgetail
Wedgetail

Back to top Go down

Post by boobook Wed 20 Jan 2016, 12:10 pm

Speaking of cylinder bore wear it is obvious that most of it is caused by intake air filtration (lack of)
I have an ancient 4.5hp Honda engine we used for some years on a dry shaker in the Qld. sapphire fields.

I have never seen one since, but this particular engine came with an oil bath air cleaner similar to the old Landrover type.
Required washing and cleaning every week, the amount of sludge in the bottom of the oil bowl showed how effective it was.
That little Honda never showed signs of wear after 5 yrs. of running the shaker.

Could be a home brew thought for your dry blower motors. Smile
mike
boobook
boobook

Back to top Go down

Post by 309mining Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:50 pm

yep without a doubt dust kills them and quick my dryblower runs a little B&S (HoS) engine with a reduction box built in, I keep new spare engines when one dies swap it out with a new one at $350 bucks not worth mucking around with. back up and running in an hour A Honda would be nice and start easyier but the dust will kill em just the same, costs twice as much so why bother.
the standard air cleaners are just not up to the job need to fit a decent big aftermarket one and blow them out each day that seems to get more hours out of the el cheepo B&S

309mining

Back to top Go down

Post by oneday Wed 20 Jan 2016, 1:54 pm

just ordered 2 x oil bath oil filters complete with brackets for my 2 machines.

if they die with this set up then i'll burn the lot.

will extend the air intake up another 12' above the dry blower so heres hoping.

regards
oneday
oneday
oneday
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by nightjar Wed 20 Jan 2016, 2:41 pm

My first hand fed dryblower (early 80's)was a Falcon model built in Welshpool I believe?
It was a little tired and not being someone to throw things away I gave it an overhaul. New bearings throughout and vee belts.
The engine a 3.5hp Briggs and Stratton I pulled apart, the bore had very little wear but was glazed. A good hone fixed that. New set of rings and lapped the valves and she was a goer.
Yes a oil bath air cleaner and she chuffed away day in day out. Four of us took and hour each on the shovel and moved heaps of dirt. The only problem we had before selling it was the old B&S had points which failed while working Ringneck near Kambalda. Was lucky enough to find a mineworker/mechanic and when we delivered a carton of beer next morning he informed us he had gone one step better and fitted electronic ignition. Sold it on a couple of fellas working out of Kal. In the coming years built two scaled down models, sold one to pay for the two and the other I have to this day but rarely used.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

nightjar
nightjar

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down